Monday, October 10, 2011

Sniff...


Recently, Mr. Steak and Tater's and I went on vacation.  Now, Mr. Steak and Tater's is quite fond of oatmeal raisin cookies.  In fact, it is tantamount to crises if we do not have a ready supply.  In consequence, I bake a lot of oatmeal raisin cookies. 

But, back to the vacation.  One of our destinations was the Grand Canyon, South Rim.  We flew into Flagstaff, rented a car (a convertable, tres fun) and drove to the canyon the next day. 

As we entered the park with the top down, we, like everyone else had to stop to pay the entrance fee, or in our case show our Parks Pass.  The young man manning our booth was friendly and on impulse and as they were close at hand I offered him a homemade cookie. (One of the large supply I made and packed for the trip.)

 "Would you like a homemade cookie," I asked? 

"Does a fat boy ever say no to cookies," he queried? (I should note here that I did not think he was fat.)

It was like magic.  That young man's face lit up so brightly and as he took the cookie he immediately held it to his nose and took a long, long sniff with a look of pure pleasure written on his features.  Then, he set it aside for later.

The Grand Canyon was indescribably beautiful and awe inspiring. I will remember that first viewing of it always and along with my memories of the day, tucked into the corner will always be a memory of that fellow's absolute and pure enjoyment of that cookie.

Food is like that, it makes memories...

4 comments:

  1. Really good post. I smiled just picturing in my mind his pleasure over that cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really musta been good, cuz he let us in for nothin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fragilewisdom, thanks Sis!

    Fin, lol or the pass got us in...

    Chang Guy, maybe I can hook you up with some in December.

    ReplyDelete