Thursday, September 8, 2011

From Scratch

 The other day, I was in the check out line at a local thrift store and the cashier began questioning the older but not really elderly woman in front of me about her purchases.  The woman was explained how she reused items for storage and such.  This led to a conversation about how the woman made everything from scratch including her bread.  That peeked my interest.  After all, I was on my way home to make the above cupcakes from scratch.

(For my one international reader, actually you're almost my only reader I'm not sure how the word "scratch" crosses dialectical differences but just in case I'll explain because it's important for the rest of the story.  In the US when the term "from scratch" is used in the kitchen it refers to making something with the basic ingredients, not relying on a mix or pre-made store bought things.  Now, back to the story.)

The cashier evidenced the usual amazement that someone still makes anything, much less bread from scratch which led the customer to share a joke.  It's an oldy but it's still good:

A young woman walks into the grocery store.  After spending quite a while looking around and going from one end of the store to another a clerk asks the young lady if she needs help locating something.  The young woman looked up and said, "Oh I'm looking for scratch".  


"Scratch?" asked the clerk.


"Yes," the young woman replied.  "My Mother told me she baked everything from scratch.

I was still smiling and the clerk was still laughing when it was my turn at the check out.


Photo: What I like to call double chocolate cupcakes (recipe found here at The Wife of a Dairyman) and cream cheese frosting.

4 comments: