Thursday, November 11, 2010

Here in the southern United States, temperatures are just beginning to dip.  In fact, we had the first frosts last week but today it's comfortable in the 70's. 

Last week, the freezing temps sent me scurrying around to save the tomatoes and eggplant in the garden.  I don't think I'll be able to fend off the inevitable entrance of winter-like weather much longer but I've been successful so far.

The first evening that it was forecast to really dip into the thirties, I covered the things I could and harvested a few things that I couldn't.  

When Steak and Taters Guy and I sat down for dinner that evening at the dinner table which had one end obscured by greenery, he asked, with a marginally pained expression, "If that was a bushel of wheat?"  I answered, "It's the lemongrass I harvested so it wouldn't freeze.  Now I will dry it for tea."  Mr. Steak and Taters continued to eat his dinner with little comment about the lemongrass as exchanges such as these are very common at our house but often leave him as mystified as ever.



Stop by some weekend and we'll have a bit of organically grown lemongrass and mint tea.  I should have enough to share.

9 comments:

  1. He may be converted yet!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. He has learned that the blog owner can cook steak and potatos wonderfully.

    That is good. And sufficient.

    fin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggs, let's just say we've made great strides but he'll never walk away from the junk food aisle.

    Fin, honey or as I'm trying to have you known, Steak and Taters Guy, thanks. And, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) I am on my way over. I could rally use a tall glass of tea right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like another long day. Do come over this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lemongrass and I'd LOVE to stop in :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lemongrass can also be used in cooking. It is used quite a bit in Southeast Asian cooking. Maybe you should whip up some Thai or Vietnamese food for Steak and Taters man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. CG, I have used the bulb part in a dish but I promise you steak and taters guy would never be able to hack it. I've had a fairly difficult time finding recipes using lemongrass. Although, I do enjoy Thai food, at least the stuff I've tried. (Bet yours is more authentic. :))

    ReplyDelete