Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Lemon Tree

When I moved to South Mississippi, I was intrigued by the citrus trees.  I'd never lived in a climate warm enough to support citrus.  Soon after beginning work at the library, the offerings started pouring in.  It seems that many people with satsuma trees, oranges, and tangerines often have more produce than they can absorb.  What better place is there to take that surplus than to the staff at the local library.  YUM!

Two years ago, thanks to another friend at the library I discovered Meyer Lemons.  Again, YUM!  The Meyer is a cross between a lemon and some type of orange, introduced to the U.S. in 1908.  So, it's been around awhile but it's fairly new to me.  A good Meyer lemon is much larger than a lemon bought at the grocery store, with a deep yellow color, and a beautiful tangy scent.

Last spring, I bought a Meyer Lemon tree.  It came with blossoms intact and many made it through it's transplant into my soil.  I spent the next several weeks anxiously watching to see if the blossoms would set, hopeful that I'd get some lemons in my first year of lemon tree ownership.  By the end of the season, I had eight lemons.  I'll admit they weren't the best specimens, a little small for Meyer Lemons, but the flavor, just right!

I spent about $35 on my tree.  I got eight lemons.  This means, that if you don't factor in my labor of watering, fertilizing, extra costs for the "good" soil I planted the tree in, and not to mention periodic checks for lemon growth those lemons were worth about $4.38 each.  Uhm... slightly higher than market value.  However, when you balance that price with the absolute joy of picking my own fruit, right outside in my own yard, knowing that after I planted the tree no chemicals were added to the growing mix of my lemons, I'm thrilled.  Of course in future years, provided conditions are right, the cost of my lemons should drop dramatically. 

This year, I was thrilled to use my own lemons for the lemon drink I made when my family celebrated an early Thanksgiving meal at my house last Saturday.  It's very fulfilling to have parts of the meal provided from the bounty of your own efforts.  The cornbread dressing was partially seasoned with lemon thyme I grew and the salad was picked in my own garden.  For me, this type of circular motion is very pleasing, to produce and consume products of my own labor.

Bonus offering of the day:

As I started writing about lemons, I couldn't get this song out of my head.  Enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. Bethany my dad has one that he has had for years and he usually has more lemons than they know what to do with. Your day is coming. They squeeze the juice and freeze in ode cube trays then dump them into a ziplock and use them in the summer. They make WONDERFUL lemon icebox pies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Lori, I'm really looking forward those days when I can freeze some juice. My friend from the library with the tree usually gets barrels and barrels off their one tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, we have a lemon and lime tree we have had for three years now and NO FRUIT!!!!!!! Help us, J is ready to chop them both down, what are we doing wrong!!!!!! _love Lu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lu, hmmm, that is a shame. I wonder if they got caught in a late frost last year. That's what happened to Lisa's.

    ReplyDelete