Saturday, January 7, 2012

Somewhere In the Moment

First, let us begin with the black eyed peas for the New Year's Day Hoppin' John.

Lately, I find myself less and less interested in tradition but New Year's black eyed peas is definitely one tradition from which I cannot walk away.  We had a quiet New Years dinner with sister Elaine and my Mr. Steak and 'Taters. Mr. Steak and 'Taters dutifully ate two black eyed peas to bolster his luck in the New Year.  Elaine and I ate quite a bit more than two.

Shall we break down the pot:  Ham from the freezer. In November, I cooked a whole ham from a company that gives pigs a better life than some and then had a ton left over... I cubed a great deal of it and froze it in two cup portions.  Next bay leafs purchased at the farmer's market last fall and dried at home.  They have an amazing flavor.  Local sweet onion.  Turkey stock that I made and froze in cup portions in November.  Fresh thyme from the herb pots.  Dried black eyed peas, reconstituteded.  (Dried peas are an amazing thing.)
It is a wonderful thing to cook a dish with no need to open a can and know that I was so involved in so many aspects of each ingredient.  It's a difficult feeling to explain but I find a great sense of peace and self accomplishment when I am so involved in the food I prepare.

Second, a break from tradition.

Remember, I'm not feeling particularly traditional at the moment.  This explains the spring-ish tablecloth that I used at Christmas rather than pulling out my very traditional reds and greens. I also felt inspired to come up with something a bit different for the table.

Centerpiece Breakdown:  A little bit old, A little bit new, Touches of blue - Hecworth Silver plate Candelabra found on Ebay for $10 plus shipping, Vintage Blue Mercury Glass beads also sourced from Ebay about $10, Assorted ornaments from my Christmas decoration box and from Dollar Store, Turquoise blue perching bird an impulse buy at Walmart $2, Aluminum tray with decorative handles was a $1 thrift store find that had to have rust removed

I'm just in love with the silver and blue.  In love to the point that I packed away the ornaments with the other Christmas goodies but have simply not been able to disassemble the tray, candelabra, and mercury beads. 

Again, it is impossible to explain to Mr. Steak and 'Taters why I enjoy spending money and time on something with little utility that simply pleases me on an aesthetic level but seeing an idea in my head and making it happen the way I think it should does bring me great satisfaction.

3 comments:

  1. As you know, I totally understand the need to see an idea come to fruition whether it is utilitarian or not. The is peace and satisfaction in it. I have great admiration for you of late because of your involvement in all aspects of your home; you do not just consume but you create. Perhaps I am living vicariously through you since I have been otherwise occupied in my own life and have not had time left over for such pursuits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand why you have not wished to put away the table centrepiece. There is joy and satisfaction in knowing your hand in the life you choose to live and manifest around you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fragilewisdom, the great thing for you is that in your new space you'll have more room to explore creating. I'm sure you're going to do some great things in 2012.

    Maggs, well said. Thank you for helping me find the words to express my feelings!

    ReplyDelete